The Importance Of Air Quality Treatment In Ships
Ships are one of the sea transportation that is often used, especially for long-distance travel between islands, countries or continents. The journey taken by a ship will take days, therefore a ship must have a good level of comfort. One of the comforts that must be considered is the comfortable temperature inside the ship. The comfort provided to the passengers and crew of the ship is starting to be considered from the noise. vibration and comfort in the form of air regulation.
Thermal comfort is a mental satisfaction experienced by humans with the temperature conditions in the surrounding environment. Factors that affect thermal comfort are air temperature, radiant temperature, air humidity, wind speed, clothing insulation, and activity. Air temperature is one of the most dominant factors in determining thermal comfort.
The air temperature at sea is usually so high and hot therefore the HVAC system on ships must be designed and maintained as well as possible.
In general, HVAC on ships is used for:
- Keeping the ship's passengers and (crew) healthy physically and mentally
- Provide an environment temperature that complies with the criteria for work equipment (equipment)
- Provide a suitable ambient temperature for keeping dangerous goods such as ammunition on Naval ships
- Preserving perishable products for the needs of store supplies and cargo
- Prevent hazards from toxic (poisonous) and explosive materials. Based on the Marine Engineering Handbook, the air conditioning capacity commonly used for ships is between 5000 cfm to 8000 cfm
The HVAC system is designed for the comfort and health of operators, crew, passengers, and supply of air needed in the engine room. This system was made with various considerations including: the number of people on board, the heat released by various other ship equipment, accessibility for maintenance & repair purposes.
In planning the HVAC system on a ship, it must follow applicable rules, for example ISO 7547 regarding "Ship and Marine Technology - Air Conditioning and Ventilation Conditioning Design of Accommodation Spaces and Basic Calculations". In general, the system must be designed for air conditions with specifications in summer with ambient temperature and humidity of +35⁰C and 70%. Then with indoor air conditions +27⁰C and 50%. Fresh air from outside has been determined that the minimum amount must be not less than 40% of the total required air supply.
Some dampness is evident because the ship is surrounded by and over water. But the excessive humidity meant the ventilation system couldn't keep up. Resulting in moisture collision in the AHU is unavoidable and with condensation problems.
This moisture is the perfect environment for the growth and accumulation of mold and bacteria, especially since they can grow in places that are hard to reach or clean. If this mold and bacteria grows on the outside of the HVAC system, they can be cleaned. But what about all the bacteria that are invisible to the naked eye?
Gelair Air Treatment uses a specially formulated gel matrix placed in the Air Handling Unit (AHU), where Gelair releases a specific concentration of Australian Tea Tree Oil vapor when the airflow from the air conditioner comes into contact with the Gelair surface to hard-to-reach places throughout the system HVAC.
Gelair Air Treatment formulation contains Tea Tree Oil (100% natural essential oil) and other components that can affect the morphology and structure of the mycelium in molds, damage cell walls and cell membranes of fungi and change the fatty acid composition of molds so that it has been proven effective as an antifungal and antibacteria.
Gelair solution samples were tested with TÜV SÜD PSB for bactericidal and fungicidal activity according to standard BS:EN 1040:200.
Gelair Air Treatment is the best maintenance option that manages the entire HVAC system. Not only taking care of the air passing through the system, but also taking care of the AHU, ducts and diffusers.
|Treatment Option||Air||AHU & Condensate Tray||Ducts||Diffusers & Occupant Zone|
|Silver Ion Filters|
Benefits of Gelair Air Treatment:
- Kills mold
- Kills bacteria (including Legionella)
- Kills viruses (including HSV & inhibits the H1N1 replication cycle)
- 4. Improve indoor air quality (e.g. for Green Mark assessment or to reduce sick building syndrome)
- Easy to install and maintenance free
- Killing odor-causing bacteria, not just covering up odors
- 100% natural
- No bacterial resistance problem
- Maintain entire air conditioning system and occupant zone
- Routine maintenance cycles without operating costs
Prove the benefits, get the best offers now!